The leader of the Senate Democratic caucus, Nevada's Sen. Harry Reid, took contributions from clients of convicted influence-peddler Jack Abramoff and intervened on their behalf at least four times. Abramoff, for his part, hired one of Reid's staffers and started holding fundraisers for the senator in the Abramoff offices.
Now The Los Angeles Times reports on the "culture of corruption" surrounding Reid and a new real-estate development outside of Las Vegas, in the desolate valley of Coyote Springs. Reid has intervened on behalf of powerful developer Harvey Whittemore to gain government concessions, while the developer puts money into Reid's campaigns - and, the Times reports, pays salaries to two of Reid's sons, one of whom is his personal lawyer.
I guess we won't be hearing any more Reid references to the Republican "culture of corruption." Come to think of it, I haven't heard one in quite some time, from Reid or anyone else on the left for that matter.
On the other hand, I don't hear any of the nutroots rushing to demand an explanation from Reid either. I guess when it's Republican it's corruption and when it's Democrat it's "business as usual."
No comments:
Post a Comment