Thursday, June 22, 2006

Sleeper cell in custody in Miami

MIAMI, Florida (CNN) -- Seven people are in custody after a sweep by law enforcement authorities in connection with an alleged plot against targets that may have included the Sears Tower, officials told CNN on Thursday.

Officials said no weapons or bomb-making materials had been found in the searches in the Miami area by FBI and state and local law enforcement officials. The city is under no imminent threat, according to the FBI.

Law enforcement sources told CNN that the arrests disrupted what may have been the early stages of a domestic terrorist plot to attack the Sears Tower in Chicago, Illinois, the FBI building in Miami, and possibly other targets. (Watch details of the raids -- 2:53)

The 110-story Sears Tower is the world's third-tallest building and the tallest in North America.

Law enforcement sources told CNN that some of the suspects are members of a radical African-American Muslim group and that at least one had taken "an al Qaeda oath." They had carried out surveillance on the Sears Tower and FBI building in Miami, the sources said.

Sources told CNN that the arrests culminated a monthslong undercover operation. The suspects believed they were dealing with an al Qaeda operative, but the person was actually a government informant, the sources said


How many sleeper cells have now been broken up by the Gov't? I was talking to my friend at work and we can come up with three. California, New Jersey and now this one. I wonder if the far left still thinks there isn't really a war on terror going on.


Powered by Qumana


1 comment:

Stained Glass Dallas said...

Great post thaank you