Wednesday, August 03, 2005

ACLU Sues Over Rap

With all the school shootings I would rather my kids be safe than sorry if they attended this school.

Whether these lyrics were just words or not, and simply just an email sent to a friend as "part of a "battle rap" challenge - one in which rival rappers try to out-rhyme one another." the ACLU, the parents and whoever else should just shut the hell up and let the law and school district do what they believe to be best for these kids. If in fact, a mistake was made, well, shame on them but if in fact their actions may have saved a few kids, bravo and FY ACLU.

"It is our job, not that of school officials, to decide what music Anthony can compose and listen to in our home," Anthony's father, John Latour, said. Ok, well, this father has somewhat of a point here but as a parent I would be just a bit concerned with lyrics such as, "You're a rook, I'm the king, and I'm cookin ya quick / I'm lookin to stab, don't even look for the strap." or how about a raised eyebrow over this exerpt:

"Another song discovered by the mother of a young woman with whom Latour had feuded contains these lyrics: "So watch what you say about me, I'm everywhere son / And the word of mouth is that I'm carrying guns / Now that I'm comin' for you - what the (expletive) you gonna do / I come double with the pump tons of slugs that will punish you."

Apparently these parents haven't heard about Columbine. But then us parents aren't supposed to invade our children's privacy no matter how depressed we may think our children may be. It's just an age thing or pms or hormones. It too shall pass.

After all, I guess writing about killing people and threats is just 'child's play' and something we should just look at as a kids stuff. A creative gene of sorts.

As I said before, I'd rather my kids are safe than to receive a phone call that some lunatic kids went off the deep end and went on a killing spree.

No comments: