Ummmm, going a little overboard perhaps? Discrimination maybe? Maybe they could just revise the text in the books to read Mom/dad (mom/mom, dad/dad, mom, dad, etc.), not necessarily in that order but really, completely eliminate? What the hell is wrong with people? Kids know who they have at home loving them and taking care of them and their needs. Why exactly does it have to be revised for the likes of all these damn adults who aren't able to decipher this on their own and who seem to be dumber than the children in my daycare home! Ooops, I said 'dumber', well now I'm resorting to their game, name calling. Soooorrrry.
My poor children who have a 'mom' and a 'dad'. After all, all kids are created with a female egg and a male sperm, you know, the birds and the bees? Or perhaps this is too old fashioned now. If not for the man, there would be no lesbians, gay men, liberals, democrats. God men, get it straight would ya? (oh, no pun intended) Oh, for those that find this harsh, I've been labeled a homophobe already so I might as well act like one for real. Kind of fun really. Oh, but how could that be? I wouldn't have any sort of problem adding the 'mom/mom,' dad/dad, mom, dad, aunt, uncle, neice, sister, brother', etc. to the books and I could give two shits what order it was in. Everyone would be happy with that right????
No matter how much one wants to believe that mother/father should be eliminated from the text books or from the human race itself, EVERYONE has a mother/father! The technical term for them is not necessarily mom or dad but how one is created is really about a man and a woman. DUH!!!! Or are those who are not heterosexual, conservative, Republican, above all that. Maybe they have some new way of creating a child. How about immaculate conception? Oh, sorry that is somewhat religious. Guess that makes me a far right leaning religious freak right? Oh well, so be it.
Read on for some entertainment:
'Mom,' 'dad' to be axed
from school textbooks?
Zelda's revenge: Gender-neutralizing bill
could also jeopardize prom kings, queens
Posted: March 9, 2006
1:00 a.m. Eastern
A traditional-values organization in California is warning the state's residents that a bill pending in the Legislature, if approved, could remove all references to gender in public schools – threatening even references to "mom" or "dad" in textbooks.
If the bill, SB 1437, were to become law, warns the Capitol Resource Institute, "it could potentially require gender-neutral bathrooms in our schools and all references to 'husband' and 'wife' or 'mom and dad' removed from school textbooks as the norm."
Sponsored by Democratic Sen. Sheila Kuehl – a lesbian actress best known for playing Zelda in "The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis" in the '60s – the legislation would add "gender" (actual or perceived) and "sexual orientation" to the law that prohibits California public schools from having textbooks, teaching materials, instruction or "school-sponsored activities" that reflect adversely upon people based on characteristics like race, creed and handicap.
Sen. Sheila Kuehl
States Capitol Resource Institute on its website: "The reason this is such an outrageous bill is because it is the most extreme effort thus far to transform our public schools into institutions that disregard all notions of the traditional family unit. SB 1437 seeks to eliminate all 'stereotypes' of the traditional family so that young children are brainwashed into believing that families with moms and dads are irrelevant.
"The social experiment pro-homosexual activists have envisioned for our young children is mind-boggling!"
The organization notes the bill also applies to school activities, which include cheerleadering, sports and events like the prom.
"Under SB 1437, school districts would likely be prohibited from having a 'prom king and queen' because that would show bias based on gender and sexual orientation," said CRI. The measure also could affect issues like gender-specific sports teams.
Earlier this week, about 500 homosexual students gathered at the State Capitol in Sacramento to celebrate "Queer Youth Advocacy Day."
According to the Sacramento Bee, demonstrators voiced support for Kuehl's bill and AB 606, authored by Democrat Assemblyman Lloyd Levine, which addresses harassment and discrimination in schools.
"I refuse to settle for anything less than respect and equality in education," 16-year-old Garrett Rubin stated at the event. "I shouldn't have to be working so hard to get an education like everybody else."
The Bee reported participants also spoke out against AB 2311, authored by GOP Assemblyman Dennis Mountjoy, a bill that would prohibit the "promotion of homosexuality in public education."
The young protesters chanted: "Hey hey, ho ho, homophobia's got to go."
Traditional values group Campaign for Children and Families decried AB 606, which has passed the Assembly and likely will be approved in the state Senate.
"AB 606 would give inappropriate, draconian power to the California State Superintendent of Public Instruction to unilaterally withhold state funds from California school districts that don't promote transsexuality, bisexuality, and homosexuality according to his arbitrary 'standards,'" stated an e-mail from the group. "This horrible bill essentially mandates the trans-bi-homosexual agenda in curriculum, textbooks, presentations and more. And because two-thirds of a school districts' funds come from the state, AB 606 would interrupt and destroy the academic learning of millions of California schoolchildren if schools 'don't comply.'"
Campaign for Children and Families is urging Californians to urge Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger to veto the bill should it reach his desk.
11 comments:
The idea that gender is forgettable or removable is absurd to begin with. Men are men and women are women. It bothers me when people take things too far.
What makes me even more angry, though, is when people don't care about being discriminatory. "Kind of fun" to be or act like a homophobe?
Yeah, good job, congratulations, I have some stones you might like to throw at your fellow people.
Well, being accused of it in the past I might as well act like it. Isn't that a saying or something? Funny thing is is I could give a rats butt what another wants to do with their sex life. All the power to them I say, I'm just tired of it being thrown in the faces of us that feel this way because if we don't hop on board with the whole activist's viewpoint then we are labeled homophobes. Fair enough.
Hence my phrase... "Kind of fun" And I dare say that I think that those who do run around labeling do get some sick and twisted enjoyment out of it. Could be wrong. But really? I wasn't having fun, I was quite irritated with this whole thing.
I was being sarcastic actually for those out there who have labeled me as such. Don't take it so personal...
Ya Dave, don't take it so personal.
Dave,
I hear where you are coming from. However, I was raised, and still believe that the act of homosexuality is wrong. You don't hate, dislike, etc...the person but the act. I don't feel bad at all about that, and I am not going to have someone tell me that I am a bigot because of that. I don't hate them, but my GOD tells me, through the bible, that it is wrong. End of story.
So, because of my religion should I be labelled a homophobe, and discriminated against? I don't discriminate against them. But....I won't have their way of life forced down my childrens' throat at school either. That isn't the place, just as it isn't the place for me or my children to push our religious beliefs, or for teachers to push there political beliefs.
It is a place to teach them the facts, and how to deductively reason and think, end of story. Anything else is a bastardization of the institution and the pushing of a political agenda. Whoever can take that agenda and shove it into any orifice they want to.
If my kids school proceeds to start pushing that stuff, there is going to be a pretty ugly scene up there, and I won't be the only parent in it. Schools teach, parents raise, so they need to stay the hell out of how I raise my kid.
End of rant.
~Wayne
What's next? Can't even say the sky is blue, might offend Smurfs?
Louie, the attitude that it's just sex is the best attitude to have in my mind. But the reason people have gay pride parades and have to show people they're proud of who they are is because other people try to demean and lessen them as human beings. That's why people blame activist homosexuals for "throw[ing it] in the faces" of the rest of us. You can't sit back in silence while someone condemns you.
I don't take it personal, it's just that non-discrimination and education are tied for being my most sacred beliefs, so I react strongly.
Wayne; I should restate what I think, then deal with the quote below. There's a difference between not approving of someone's love or sexual actions and condemning them in the non-religious arena. If you think my buddy is going to hell for being gay, that's your belief, or if I am for not believing in Christ. It's your religion. That is completely unrelated to the political arena in the United States, though, and that's the important thing to remember. Realistically, homosexuality has no effect on you or your kin, because it is an act between consenting adults. No gay guys out there are seriously suggesting that we should 'convert' to homosexuality. I totally agree that school is for teaching facts, and one of the facts of American life is that religion and state are separate. Removing gender from school is the goal of the lefties that make me look like a Republican elite. I agree that it's important to take note of the extremists out there, but don't politically damn a group of people because of them. You cannot politically discriminate against someone because of a religious belief, end of story.
As far as the Leviticus quotes, I think it's pretty clear what the Bible has to say about homosexuality. I'm not disputing that. As to the "put to death" bit, I will note that the original scriptures also call for the stoning of non-virgin brides and regulations for beating slaves. Also, I highly doubt most Christians advocate the mass-murder of homosexuals.
Jenn, you said 'smurfs'....
"Louie, the attitude that it's just sex is the best attitude to have in my mind."
Really? Very interesting. Well in that case Dave, that would make you a bigot and a homophobe. That is exactly why 'the rest of us' are labeled as such.
I am not out there condemning them, preaching to them but I am out there standing up for the heterosexuals that give a damn such and myself. My kids know about homosexuality, have gay friends, I have gay friends, but when it comes to the public schools teaching my kids about homosexuality, that is something that is up to the families of these kids. Wayne summed it up really well and I agree with him.
I'm with you on the whole discrimination thing by the way. Just because I'm a conservative-repulican who was raised Catholic doesn't make me an extreme right wing christian, homophobe, bigot, racist pig. Or does it, clump us all together into one great big group, hmm, sounds a little familiar.
Louie,
No. Homophobes are labeled homophobes because they do not treat it like it is; just sex&love. They treat it like it's a creeping menace that will absorb our children and our society will crumble etc. etc.
Can't really tell whether you're being sarcastic on the last paragraph, so I'll bow out.
Showing concern for what our kids are being taught in school is a negative reaction Dave. Showing our own concerns about certain things is negative. As heterosexuals, we are damned if we do and damned if we don't. Even if we try to support them they spit in our faces. And these are some of the activist that I am talking about. Are you a gay man? Do you know for a fact what constitutes a homophobe, bigot?
I can tell you from experience that your definition is lacking. Myself, my husband, Jenn, and others have addressed this issue and no matter how open minded we have been with the likes of homosexuals, in the end, hell in the beginning, we were all called those very names. If they want to take the 'mom and dad' out of the text books in the schools, I'm going to raise hell because how is it that we have to accomodate in such a way that has to cater to the homosexual community? Like I said in my post, I don't care if they add different names but to eliminate one just to appease the other? This is not the only thing out there that the activists have been fighting for that raises concerns. The minute our opinions come out though we are labeled. If anyone wants to discriminate I would have to say that the homosexual community is doing a damn good job. And probably because they have been discriminated against. But for those of us out there that would be an asset to their cause, well they burn those bridges and cause a downward spiral of animosity.
And my last paragraph was a little of both. Battle scars so to speak.
This is absurd. We are not unfortunate underrepresented white heterosexual males. We are not persecuted. We are the leadership of this country.
I think you're taking the assaults of some very radical people as being logical and representative of the entire group. Yeah, I do know what constitutes a homophobe; a person who is illogically afraid of gays and their 'agenda.' Nobody's perfect, but most people are rational. Or so I believe.
Whoops.
Post a Comment