What constitutes a woman's right should very well be equal to what constitutes a man's right when it comes to being a parent. Or not to some.
I can't say that I didn't see this coming. Women and their rights and all their fighting to be heard, to be noticed, to be treated as equals. Parts of me are glad for some of those rights that have been granted. Don't get me wrong.
In the case of an abortion though, well, I am against abortion except in extreme cases, in which case I can't say 100% what I might choose to do. The fact that I have that choice though is somewhat disturbing, as in my eyes, conception is about making a life. Incest perhaps, rape perhaps, life or death of mother/child perhaps. I know that where I stand now, I advocate for adoption. I probably sway more towards pro-life, more towards taking responsibility for my actions.
Then I read this article,"Male activists want say in unplanned pregnancy"
My first reaction to this is, 'keep it in your pants and women keep your legs together'. But that animal in most just cannot be contained these days it seems. My next reaction, 'hmm, well that makes sense' since women now have all these choices and men, well, the idea of men being necessary in the life of a child seems to have become somewhat obsolete anyway except for the financial reasons. Of course some may read that statement of mine and call me a bitter bitch but my experiences with friends and family alike would clearly show why I might be that way.
"The gist of the argument: If a pregnant woman can choose among abortion, adoption or raising a child, a man involved in an unintended pregnancy should have the choice of declining the financial responsibilities of fatherhood. The activists involved hope to spark discussion even if they lose."
"There's such a spectrum of choice that women have -- it's her body, her pregnancy and she has the ultimate right to make decisions," said Mel Feit, director of the men's center. "I'm trying to find a way for a man also to have some say over decisions that affect his life profoundly."
I guess one could look at this one of two ways. First, if it's her body, then what in the hell was a man doing invading it? Or, that seems to make some sense. Men and women are going to have careless sex. Boys and girls are going to do the same. It's a choice that is made by both sexes to engage in an act of passion, why then shouldn't both have the choice with what will ultimately affect them for the rest of their lives? A woman really wants that baby but the man doesn't, he should have the option to opt out. Of course I question whether a man has the right to sign away his rights almost immediately or if there is a bunch of red tape involved in doing so.
My final reaction to this article is, "what a selfish, self absorbed society this has become". Realistically, isn't it the child who will suffer the most? My heart ultimately lies with the child and the idea that that child didn't ask for their fate. That there are so many children in this damn world that are without stability. I don't fault the men 100% in this situation. Really, can you blame them?
But then again, if one doesn't want to risk a 'problem' such as an unwanted pregnancy maybe they should wear chastity belts and vow to remain out of the bedroom with the opposite sex. God forbid men and/or women own up to their mistakes and take responsiblity for their own damn stupidity just for a brief moment of bliss.
1 comment:
It's kind of sad that it has come to this, but those who obsess about "equality" will certainly get right behind this effort.
Right?
Post a Comment