Friday, July 29, 2005

LOEWS CINEPLEX - No Discount for Military

Ain't the free market cool?

Companies get to decide if, when and why they want to provide certain incentives to their customers - and their customers get to decide whether they are going to patronize their establishments based on those decisions, quality of service, etc...

LOEWS CINEPLEX theaters have lost my business.

After visiting their establishments several times and reminding myself to address their managers about not offering discounts to military members, I finally wrote them an e-mail:

Sir/Ma'am,

It's unfortunate that your theater in Seattle (Oak
Tree #438, Aurora Ave) offers no discount to those of us serving in
the military. Is this corporate policy or a local decision?

The answer to that question will help me decide whether I continue to
patronize other Loews establishments.

Regards,

SGT Armand T



Silly me. I thought they might realize that their competitors offer military discounts - and they might actually want to compete... especially if they want to gain ground with the inordinately high percentage of military families in the Puget Sound area.

Their thoughtful response from Guest_Services@loewscpx.com follows:

Our corporation does not offer a military discount.


Yeah, that's all they wrote - and no one had the nerve to put their name to it. You don't blame them, do you? Who wants to back a policy like that?!

Fair enough, I thought. I sent a short reply letting them know I would no longer frequent their establishments and gave them the addresses of the sites I would post this information.


No, establishments are not required to offer military discounts - but when their competitors are doing exactly that... well, no business is required to actually be competitive. It looks like Loews has taken that cue.

Feel free to pass this information along to all of your military friends and family. I'm certain they'll appreciate Loews efforts.


No comments: