
Since one of the responses to Sarah's entry included accusing everyone who opposes homosexuality of not knowing any gay people personally, I thought it would be fitting that I should reply to that in this post.
I want to tell you about my friend Rose. She was my best friend in high school. She was maid of honor at my wedding. After we both went our separate ways to different colleges I later found out she had become a lesbian by her own admission.
I was very shocked and very upset when I found out. We lived in different states at the time so we exchanged letters about it. I told her that the Bible says it's an abomination and that she better repent or she's going to go to hell. At the end of my letter I said that Satan wants to rob her of having a husband and a child of her own someday.
She wrote back telling me that her God wasn't my God and hers was a loving God. I didn't know what else to say at that point. She was obviously furious with me and didn't accept what I had said. All I could do was pray.
She had purchased a home with her girlfriend by the time she told me about it. Having a mortgage with her girlfriend was pretty permanent it seemed. What I did was pray that her and this girlfriend would become miserable together. I also prayed that she'd be blessed with a husband and baby someday. She wasn't open to talking to me anymore. I sent cards on holidays sometimes with no response.
About four years went by when one day when I was back in my home state and my mother told me that my friend's mother had died. I got the nerve to go to her mother's funeral. I went and saw my friend there. She was shocked that I came but very happy to see me. We hugged and I told her I was sorry for coming across so harshly. That's all I said.
A few years went by... I prayed whenever she happened to cross my mind over the years. Well, one day, seven years later, I was just sitting in my room when she came to mind suddenly. Instead of praying I said to God, "That's it God, she will never change. She'll just end up going to hell."
Later on that day I got a letter in the mail from her much to my surprise. The letter said that she had met a man and was getting married in the year 2000, and that I was invited to the wedding! She included her email address and wanted to correspond.
I emailed her and we talked the whole thing through daily for a few months. I learned so much. She had been seeing a secular female therapist all those years that held the view that lesbianism was normal. Then after she saw that her therapy was doing her no good after six years she decided to see another therapist.
She went to a male therapist who had her write letters to God. Within a few months her visits were reduced and in less than a year she was healed.
She realized that she had turned to lesbianism due to all the male abuse she had encountered in life. She had been raped at the age of 13. Her own mother had turned to lesbianism as well. She grew up with a lesbian mother and was hurt by that, only to end up turning to the lifestyle herself. Her mother's life was marked with tragedy as well from abuse by men. Infact, my friend's own father had sexually abused her and her sisters. Not only that, she was date raped in college. She no longer could trust men.
I never knew any of these things until she told the whole story to me through emails. She had hidden things from me while we were friends. She did not tell me she was raped, she did not tell me her father abused her. She wanted to hide all that was done to her though none of it was her fault. My heart went out to her.
She said that after four years of living with that woman she had bought a house with they were miserable together and that she spent the remaining years in another room. The turning point she said was her mother's death. She said that her mother was trying to get her to leave the lifestyle as she had left it herself. Her mother had turned to God and was appealing to her daughter. Her mother's death really made her think. I was glad I showed up at the funeral. I had no idea her mother was even a lesbian at one time though I remember she lived with another woman. (Call me naive).
She finally worked up the nerve to start dating again. At her workplace she met a wonderful man. He had never previously been married because he had been concentrating on going to medical school. Wow, what a find! He was good looking, intelligent, wealthy, and never had been previously married! Not only that, he wanted a family right away! My friend was age 35 at the time, finding a man like this at her age is like finding gold!! Not only that, she was in love!
She told me that her mother had been praying that she find a good Christian man. Wow, if her mother could have only lived to see it!
I went to the wedding. I kind of sat there a little shocked at myself for telling God that she'd never change. It was like God telling me that I should not give up on people. Wow.
A few years later she sent me a baby picture of her beautiful baby girl. Previously she thought she could not even get pregnant due to some female problems. I told her that doctors are often wrong about that some years back.
I am so amazed at what God can do. My friend's sister unfortunately got involved with lesbianism too. But she also turned away from the lifestyle.
I thank God for working in my friends life. I thank God for a therapist who will connect their patients to the only one who can truly heal a soul ~ God. I thank the Lord her mother turned to God and her sister too.
Yes, sometimes there are happy endings. It was seven years of prayer. Some things take time. Do not give up. That's what I learned. Don't under estimate God and what he can do.
If there is a searching soul out there who wants help getting out of lesbianism and homosexuality, God is the answer! He knows why you turned to it, and knows how to help you find the way out. The Scriptures say, "He came that you might have life, and have it more abundantly". (my paraphrase).
Here is an organization that offers help to those wanting to change~ http://www.exodusglobalalliance.org/index.php
Also, for those who need more Biblical evidence that homosexuality is a sin please see this page at~http://jesusisthelight.net/HOMOSEXUALITY.htm
No comments:
Post a Comment