Sunday, June 19, 2005

A Retraction and An Apology

I received this note in the comments section of a previous article today, from fdtate:

In this case, he or she has either produced a quote out of thin air or attributed a quote to the wrong person. The words you have attributed to me have never been uttered or written by me. I've never even thought such a thing. I await your retraction and apology.

It is in regards to this quote, used here, from The Blue Voice:

When Christian Right leaders are ready to start challenging the prejudices of their white conservative base supporters by demanding removal of the draconian and impractical work requirements of the 1990's welfare reform, or by lobbying for vastly expanded federal job-training programs, then I'll start to wonder if they can't get beyond their narrow focus.

Research has revealed that fdtate is indeed correct. The idiotic "pro-welfare reform equals bigotry" quote comes not from fdtate, but Bruce. I will make the proper changes to my original post to reflect the correct author and I thank fdtate for pointing it out.

I wouldn't want to be associated with such a ridiculous quote either and would hope that were I quoted saying something this assinine incorrectly, the author would also correct it. I assure him it was an unintentional error, and not one made to intentionally besmirch his reputation, as this quote would surely do.

With that in mind I apologize to fdtate for the error. It shan't happen again.

No comments: